Johann Volrath Theodor Tess (1828-1915), for whom the village was originally named, and his family came from Belitz, Gustrow, Mecklenburg-Vorpommern, Germany in 1856, purchasing 30 acres of barren land in the area. Johann Tess is buried at Saint Peters United Church of Christ Cemetery in Skokie, Illinois.
|Grandmother Proesel. A Founder of Tessville.|
Prior to the assassination of President Abraham Lincoln, the Indian trail was known as Little Fort Road and it led to the town of Little Fort, now known as Waukegan, Illinois. Little Fort Road became a plank road and was turned into a toll road. In 1926 then Lincoln Avenue became part of U.S. Route 41 which stretches 2,000 miles between the Upper Peninsula in Michigan to Miami, Florida.
The sparse farming population grew after the establishment of a Chicago & North Western Railway station in nearby Niles Centre in 1891 (Americanized to Niles Center in 1910, then renamed to Skokie in 1940).
|A Tessville Truck Vehicle Tag.|
Tessville annexed land throughout the 1920s, finally stretching to Central Avenue on the west and Kedzie Avenue to the east (the land that Thillens Stadium sits on at Devon and Kedzie in Chicago was originally in Tessville). During Prohibition, Tessville became a haven for speakeasies and gambling facilities.
NOTE: Historically, many so-called speakeasies turned out to be urban legends and myths; i.e. Elliott's Pine Log Restaurant in Skokie and the famous Stratosphere Club in the Jewelers Building, downtown Chicago. Legal alcohol was available during the prohibition years.Tessville was a destination for drinking and gambling until the 1931 election of its longest-serving mayor, Henry A. Proesel, a grandson of George Proesel, one of the original American settlers.
|Henry Proesel, Mayor of Tessville.|
Today, Lincolnwood is a two-and-a-half square mile suburb of Chicago.
Compiled by Neil Gale, Ph.D.
 McCormick Road was built in 1926 by the Chicago Sanitary District as an access road to its North Side Water Reclamation Plant at Howard and McCormick.
The Lincolnwood Grill & Fountain Coffee Shop was on the north-west corner of Devon and Kedzie Avenues. It was built when the west side of Kedzie Avenue was in Lincolnwood. The border of Lincolnwood was moved to the westside of McCormick Boulevard sometime after 1936.