|Bachelor’s Grove Cemetery, Midlothian, Illinois.|
Before 1835, there were no designated burial sites in Chicago. In earlier times, each interment was made on or near the residence of the deceased or near their family's house or on their property.
Later, the settlements around the Chicago River forks had a 1-acre of common property on the west side of the North Branch, where the dead were buried. Fort Dearborn's dead was generally buried on the north side of the main river east of Kinzie's old house, near the lakeshore, where John Kinzie was buried in 1828.
The first two designated cemeteries in Chicago were established in 1835. The Protestant Cemetery was located on Chicago Avenue, east of Clark Street and the Catholic Cemetery was located at 23rd Street and the Lakeshore.
▓ Highly Recommended
▓ Early Chicago Cemetery History. 1803-1911
Fort Dearborn Cemetery 1803-1835