In May of 1867 Mary rented her home and moved to the Clifton House at the southeast corner of Wabash and Madison. Later in the same year Mary moved back to her old neighborhood and lived at 460 W. Washington, across the street from Union Park. Again in 1868 Mary stayed at the Clifton House.
In May of 1871, after spending several years in Europe, Mary and Tad returned to Chicago and lived with son Robert at his home at 653 South Wabash Avenue (today's address on the 1200 block of South Wabash Avenue). She soon moved out and was back at the Clifton House. Tad died in the Clifton House on Saturday morning, July 15, 1871, after a long illness he contracted in Europe.
Mary Lincoln was staying at Robert Lincoln's house on Wabash Avenue when the Chicago Fire began on October 8, 1871. Robert's house was one block south and two blocks east of the burnt area. He was home with his mother when the fire started. Robert ran out to his law office at 154 Lake Street, in the Marine Bank Building, to try to save what he could which including some of his father's letters. The law office building was burnt to the ground.
Because of all the smoke the neighborhood panicked and rushed to the lakefront to avoid the smoke and fire burning just a block away. It's unclear if Mary stayed at home or if she went with neighbors to the lakefront. Both Mary and Robert survived as did Robert's house.
In 1874 Mary was living at the new Grand Central Hotel on LaSalle, St. On April 6, 1874, she sold her old home on Washington Street.
|The Grand Central Hotel, Chicago, Illinois|
Just 10 years after President Lincoln's assassination, his widow, Mary, was charged with insanity and put on trial in Chicago. The accuser was her only surviving son, Robert Lincoln. The trial was held on May 19, 1875 and she had received no prior warning or chance to organize a defense. The jury deliberated for only 10 minutes, then she was institutionalized at Bellevue Place Asylum. Mary was released after less than 4 months but mother and son were never truly reconciled.
NOTE: All addresses in this story are before the 1909 & 1911 Chicago street renaming and renumbering. See all three original documents in my Digital Research Library of Illinois History®.Compiled and Edited by Neil Gale, Ph.D.