Saturday, August 12, 2017

Green Oaks Kiddyland, 95th Street and Crawford Avenue (now Pulaski Road), Oak Lawn, IL. (1946-1971)

Green Oaks Kiddyland (yes... it's spelled correctly), was an amusement park that was located on the southwest corner of 95th Street and Crawford Avenue (now Pulaski Road), was a major family entertainment site for the Oak Lawn area for nearly 25 years. It was also known as Green Oaks Playland. 
Created by Mike "Mickey" Doolin in 1946, he began with only three portable carnival-style rides that sat on twenty-one acres, when it opened just in time for the season.
Mickey Doolin, Owner of Green Oaks Kiddyland.
In 1955 the rides included; Airplanes, Army Tanks, Autos, Boats, Ferris wheel, Fire Engine, Hand Cars, Hobby Horse, Horse & Buggy, Merry-Go-Round, Roller Coaster, Sky Fighter, Train and the Whip.
Green Oaks Kiddyland was the largest entertainment venue in the Oak Lawn area at one time. It was closed in 1971 with 15 rides, when it was sold, torn down, and replaced by a Venture store (now a K-Mart).

NOTE: These photographs were near impossible to find.
The fire truck was used to pick up kids for private parties, at their house, and drive them to Kiddyland. The rest of the time, it was used as a ride in the park.
Identified as Mary Munson by Granddaughter Marci M. Harvey-Utes.
Identified as Clarence Munson by Granddaughter Marci M. Harvey-Utes.
A 1956 Kodachrome Photograph from Susanne Houfek.
Compiled by Dr. Neil Gale, Ph.D. 

20 comments:

  1. Wow flashback. Lots of good memories there when I was little. I thought it was so far away from where I lived. I lived in Chicago Now I live in Oak Lawn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i used to live in oak lawn ...i remember going there ..loved the train....dad got transferred so i guess we moved away just before they closed we moved in Feb. 1971

      Delete
  2. I also worked there about 68. I had the coolest job in Oaklawn...running the roller coaster.
    Bob Zerezo (sp)was the owner.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of my favorite memories of my parents taking me there when I was little. Thanks for sharing the picture brings back so very happy memories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved the train because everyone would scream going through the tunnel and the boats.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You hear a lot about the other Kiddieland in Melrose Park but not too much on this one! We lived only blocks away in the new subdivision of Crawford Gardens just north of Green Oaks - we could see the lights from the entrance gate at night! We moved into a newly built home on S. Karlov in 1961 when I was 6. My parents started taking me to this Kiddieland while we still lived in Evergreen Park during the late 50's when I was 3, 4 and 5 and a few more times later after our move. I was too young to remember much, but I DO remember the many times my parents took me to Riverview as a child. That magnificent park closed while I was still 12 yrs old.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We use to sit on our front porch and hear the music playing at Kiddyland. We loved going there! Love the pictures. Brings back some great memories

    ReplyDelete
  7. Does anyone remember the roller coaster. I think it was also called the Big Dipper like the one on the North side. It was my first roller coaster and I loved it so. Wish there were more pictures and films of that time. A whole different era in our country

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are thinking of the "Little Dipper" which was at Kiddieland in Melrose Park and its twin sister in Kiddy Town at Harlem and Irving Park Road.

      The Big Dipper was at Riverview Park on Western Avenue and Belmont, but was in 1920-1936.

      Delete
    2. The little girl with the train and the donkey was my mother Margaret. Mikey my Grandfather. Would welcome to make a connection for other artifacts.

      Delete
  8. I love this memory,my aunt worked there ,but she had a lousy ride .The small plastic horses,however we loved walking around,I was probably around 7.A great time,

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm in my 70s and far from Chicago. These photos bring back good memories of my 1950s childhood. I loved Kiddeyland! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm 62 and was born right down the street from there. We moved when I was 4 to Michigan and there went our happiness lol But I remember Kiddie Land like it was yesterday :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. We lived in Oak Lawn and my Dad would treat the neighborhood kids to Kiddyland Saturday afternoon. Loaded up the station wagon and off we would go! He sat and ate popcorn while we enjoyed 6 rides!

    ReplyDelete
  12. When I was 6 years old I went to Kiddyland with my family. I got to meet White Sox great Louie Aparicio who was there with his wife and kids. I still have his autograph to this day. Absolutely great memories!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I loved the p[lace. Great memories. Had fun growing up at the park.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went there with my grandparents ( who I called Nanny and Papa).Oh, I miss the good old days!

      Delete
  14. We lived on 55th Racine and it was a treck to 95th pulaski. My folks eventually bought a house in walking distance from there. It was long closed and I remember a Venture store at that location.

    ReplyDelete

The Digital Research Library of Illinois History Journal™ is RATED PG-13. Please comment accordingly. Advertisements, spammers and scammers will be removed.