Construction on a new house began in 1914, but the original structure stood for some time.
|The Insull's new house at Hawthorn-Mellody Farms.|
|Hawthorn one room schoolhouse.|
One of the largest dairy farms in Lake County, Hawthorn-Mellody served the North Shore as far South as Evanston.
Beyond functioning as a state of the art dairy farm, Hawthorn-Mellody also ran a small, but successful, amusement park including a Children's Petting Zoo, a Steam Train, Country Store, Western Town and the Club of Champs, which displayed autographs and possessions of the star athletes of the time, such as Joe Louis' boxing gloves and Sonja Henie's ice skates.
Cuneo hoped it would serve as a fun, educational center for children and adults alike to learn about agriculture and the dairy industry. He constructed a public Milking Parlor where visitors could watch the Holstein cows that were milked there every afternoon. The "free of human touch" production process convinced visitors to try Hawthorn-Mellody milk.
|Free of human touch dairy plant.|
Hawthorn-Mellody Farm, Summers of 1964/65