Chicago would start its first elevated 'L' train line in 1888.
The first 'L' line ran to the south side, known as the "Alley L" because its elevated tracks were squeezed above the alley between State Street and Wabash Avenue downtown, pulled by steam locomotives.
It was extended to reach Jackson Park when Chicago was chosen to host the World's Fair in 1890.
Jackson Park was a terminal on the Jackson Park Branch of the Chicago 'L.' The station opened on May 12, 1893, and closed on October 31, 1893, with the conclusion of the World's Columbian Exposition.
|The 'L' station in Jackson Park, inside the 1893 Columbian Exposition fairgrounds. Architecturally, the station was a simple shed covering the concourse between the stairs and the platforms. The 'L' platforms are behind the shed on the left, while the fair's Intermural Railway and its connection are on the right.|
The line was electrified on July 27, 1898.
Only one train station from that 'L' line remains at Garfield Boulevard near the University of Chicago.
Compiled by Dr. Neil Gale, Ph.D.
Post a Comment
The Digital Research Library of Illinois History Journal™ is RATED PG-13. Please comment accordingly. Advertisements, spammers and scammers will be removed.