Hotel Planters was at Clark and Madison Streets. Designed by John O. Pridmore in 1910, this nine-story classical structure blends the architectural ideas of both Chicago construction and Beaux-Arts.
Columbia Burlesque theater marquee announces its show, The Flirting Widow. The burlesque house became the Clark movie theater when the hotel was renamed the Harding. Three First National Plaza is located on this site.
The Hotel Planters Restaurant, Merrie Garden, was a classically inspired find-dining room with a small orchestra pit in the early years.
By 1917, the restaurant was modified. Guests ate in the Merrie Garden and were entertained by cabaret acts. In time, the room was redesigned with a medieval theme.
Compiled by Dr. Neil Gale, Ph.D.