The one-room Monroe City Schoolhouse that stood for nearly 100 years in Monroe City, Illinois, was moved to a new location in the new Valmeyer, Illinois (on the bluffs).
The Monroe City School was built in 1918 and closed in 1955.
Property owner Melvin Allscheid donated the 1,200-square-foot schoolhouse to the Valmeyer Community Heritage Society. They moved the structure 10 miles from KK Road just east of Bluff Road to a new concrete foundation on a village-owned property at 321 South Cedar Bluff Drive and Empson Drive, just across the street from the current Valmeyer school campus, in April of 2011.
Today the one-room schoolhouse is home to the Valmeyer Community Heritage Society.
Compiled by Dr. Neil Gale, Ph.D.