Saturday, July 28, 2018

1960s & 70s Devon Avenue Bakeries in Chicago.

Devon Avenue in Chicago's West Ridge and Rogers Park communities was loaded with bakeries in the 1960s & 70s. If you know a bakery that belongs on this list, please leave the name and address in a comment below.
They are still open on Devon Avenue.
They are still open on Devon Avenue.
DEVON AVENUE BAKERIES, EAST TO WEST.
Arfa Bakery, 1348 W Devon Avenue, Chicago
Litberg's Bakery, 1519 W Devon Avenue, Chicago.
Nelson's Bakery, 2245 W Devon Avenue, Chicago
Heinemann's Bakery, 2255 W Devon Avenue, Chicago
Devon Bakery, 2301 W Devon Avenue, Chicago
Burny Bros. Bakery, 2433 W Devon Avenue, Chicago
Schlosser's Bakery, 2433 W Devon Avenue, Chicago
Farber's Bakery, 2502 1/2 W Devon Avenue, Chicago
Gross Bakery, 2546 W Devon Avenue, Chicago
Leonard's Bakery, 2651 W Devon Avenue, Chicago
Kuznitsky's Bakery, 2745 W Devon Avenue, Chicago
Gitel's Kosher Pastry Shop, 2745 W Devon Avenue, Chicago
Knopov's Bakery, 2815 W Devon Avenue, Chicago
Levinson's Bakery, 2856 W Devon Avenue, Chicago
Tel-Aviv Kosher Bakery, 2944 W Devon Avenue, Chicago

4 comments:

  1. I remember the awesome scent of the air inside Tel Aviv.... when I was a little kid and would accompany my mother on her shopping walks on Devon, we visited probably most of these businesses, although I only really remember Tel Aviv by name. They would always give me a little cookie or snack when we went in there, as my mom waited for her paper number to be called. Wow... I'm getting hungry just thinking about it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I worked at Arfa's Bakery on Devon in the 1970's. The owner was a Holocaust Survivor from Poland. It was my first real job and I was paid $1.35 per hour which wasn't a lot. However, the Arfas let me take home many baked goods for my family. Boy, did we get fat. ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜

      Delete
  2. While eating "New York Style Crumb Cake" purchased at my local Florida supermarket my mind jumped to a crumb cake I ate as a young adult. I lived in the Belmont-Central neighborhood and my mom bought bakery goods at Schlosser's Bakery on Belmont Avenue. I don't know if they were affiliated with the Schlosser's Bakery on Devon. This was in the 50's and early 60's. M,M good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As far as I know, Devon Avenue's Schlosser's Bakery was the same family.

      Delete

The Digital Research Library of Illinois History Journal™ is RATED PG-13. Please comment accordingly. Advertisements, spammers and scammers will be removed.