After the fire, the Society began collecting new materials, which were stored in a building owned by J. Young Scammon, a prominent lawyer and member of the society. However, the building and new collection were again destroyed by the Chicago fire of 1874.
The Chicago Historical Society built a fireproof building on the site of its pre-1871 building at 632 North Dearborn Street at the NW corner of Ontario Street built in 1892 by Henry Ives Cobb. The replacement building opened in 1896 and housed the Society for thirty-six years. The building was later added to the National Register of Historic Places as the Old Chicago Historical Society Building.
|The Third Chicago Historical Society Building.|
After 36 years on Dearborn Street, the Society moved to the current structure in Lincoln Park. The current home of the museum was designed by Graham, Anderson, Probst & White and constructed in 1932 by the WPA, with the aim of creating an expanded public museum.
|The Forth Chicago Historical Society Building.|
|The Current Look of the Third Chicago Historical Society Building.|
Compiled by Neil Gale, Ph.D.