Sans Souci had notable ties to the World's Columbian Exposition, which took place in 1893. The Exposition's most celebrated components were the industrial, commercial, and cultural exhibits of the "White City" in Jackson Park, so-called because of the white-colored, neo-classical buildings in which the exhibits were housed. The less-celebrated but much more profitable part of the Exposition was the "Midway Plaisance," a mile-long stretch of popular amusements between Jackson Park and Washington Park. These amusements included eateries, theaters, and a few unusual rides, including the original Ferris wheel and the Snow and Ice Railway. The financial success of the Midway demonstrated that money could be made entertaining the urban masses and encouraged the creation of similar places of amusement after the exposition closed.
On the Northwest corner of 61st Street and Cottage Grove Avenue there was a replica of an 1849 Mining Camp which opened in 1895, complete with a large Dance Pavilion and a beer garden named "Rest for the Weary."
Their new ten-acre park, dubbed Sans Souci after the famous palace of Prussian king Frederick the Great, was bounded by Cottage Grove and Langley Avenues on the east and west, and 60th and 61st Streets on the north and south.
|Sans Souci Main Entrance at 60th Street and Cottage Grove Avenue, Chicago.|
Written by Dr. Neil Gale, Ph.D. - copyright © 2016
Post a Comment
The Digital Research Library of Illinois History Journal™ is RATED PG-13. Please comment accordingly. Advertisements, spammers and scammers will be removed.