|Marshall Field & Company, State Street Store, Chicago, looking north-east from State and Washington Streets. Note the original clock. (1904)|
The first Marshall Field clock was installed in 1897 on to the building's corner of State and Washington streets (the old south building).
A second, fancier clock was added at the corner of State and Randolph streets in 1902. For five years the designs of the clocks didn’t match, but in 1907 the original clock at State and Washington was replaced with one that was identical to the second clock on State and Randolph streets when the south building was built to match the north building.
|Marshall Field & Company, State Street Store, Chicago, looking north-east from State and Washington Streets. Note the New Clock (1912)|
Below is the often misidentified Boston Store clock at State and Madison Streets which is one block to the south of Marshall Field's.
|Looking west on Madison Street from State Street, Chicago. 1928|
Written by Neil Gale, Ph.D.