The police officers are marching in front of Battery D Armory. The Battery was erected on the Lake Front in 1880, and fronted Monroe Street at the north-east corner of Michigan Boulevard. This Battery was built by some Civil War veterans as an independent organization as a result of the great riots of 1877. It was later incorporated into the Illinois National Guard, although the building was never taken over by the state.
At that time its armament consisted of four 12-pound Napoleons, two 6-pounders and a gatling gun. Aside from its military uses, the building was frequently used for public meetings and entertainments. It was demolished in 1896.