Starlight Park's first location was at 23rd Avenue and 41st Street, East Moline, from 1952-1959. Spot Mason, the owner of Mason Trailer Sales & Service, owned the Starlight (Amusement) Park.
|This photo shows the first location of Starlight Park, which was located at 23rd Avenue and 41st Street in East Moline. The amusement park operated for 8 seasons, from 1952 thru 1959. The photo was taken from the top of the Ferris wheel.|
Michael Fix bought Starlight Park in 1960 and changed the name to Star-Lite Park. The Grand Opening was held on Sunday, May 15, 1960, at a new location, 14th Street and Colona Road, in the Rock Island County Fairgrounds in East Moline.
Star-Lite Park opened the 1965 season in a new location, along Illinois Route 2 and Rt. 92, about two miles from Silvis. Michael could not agree on terms for a lease renewal with the Rock Island County Fairgrounds, so he relocated the amusement park.
The smallest size trains that amusement parks could use for toddler passengers are those with a track gauge of 5 inches. However, most amusement park trains have a track gauge of 12 to 15 inches.
Star-Lite Park closed at the end of a slow 1966 season. Michael Fix sold what rides he could, with the remaining rides donated to the Rock Island County Historical Society.
Compiled by Dr. Neil Gale, Ph.D.