The Champaign County Gazette was built between 1875-76 on the land procured by the estate of J.W. Scroggs ($3,500) and B.F. Harris ($4,500).
The cornerstone was laid on July 18, 1875, and the building was completed in time for the Centennial year celebrations on January 15, 1876. Before this time, the Gazette has been operating on the upper floors of 28 Main Street.
The building was designed by architect Seeley Brown and constructed by Mr. E.F. Gehlman. Due to several weeks of rain, the project was delayed a bit, with the staff hoping to move during Christmas or what they describe as the week of "jollification."
However, only the presses were moved during this time, and the building was completed in January. The building shared occupancy with three additional businesses, Terbush's Barber Shop in the eastern portion of the basement, Dr. Brown's Drug Store on the south end of the first floor, and a U.S. Post Office on the eastern half of the first floor.
Compiled by Dr. Neil Gale, Ph.D.