Long before the Chicago & Northwestern tracks were laid in the middle of Ravenwood Avenue and before Edgewater existed as a neighborhood in the Lincoln Square Community, and even before Pop Morse's Roadhouse in 1909 and was renamed Green Mill Gardens in 1910, the roadhouse now known as the Fireside Restaurant & Lounge has stood across from historic Rosehill Cemetery for more than a century.
Interestingly, this was the second station built at Rosehill. The tracks that are elevated today were not always that way, and an earlier street-level station stopped at the cemetery before the track elevation took place.
The original tavern once served traveling farmers and mourners alike, even offering accommodations. Fireside is located on the east side of Ravenswood Avenue just south of Rosehill Cemetery's entrance on Rosehill Drive.
According to the Edgewater Historical Society, the Fireside has continuously operated as a tavern since 1904 and was built by the original owner, Peter Eberhardt.
What is now a single structure was originally built as twin buildings with a breezeway in between. The original wooden siding has been stuccoed over in the English Tudor style, and the space between has been transformed into the pub's entrance.
Compiled by Dr. Neil Gale, Ph.D.