Tuscumbia was a paper town (a community that appears on maps but did not legally exist)
in Bernadotte Township, Fulton County, Illinois. Tuscumbia was named for Tashka Ambi, a Cherokee Chief.
It was platted by Wade Hampton on March 2, 1837 consisting of 54 lots. It flourished for a while. There was a one-room schoolhouse and a post office, but was abandoned by 1855.
Illinois experienced rapid settlement during the 1830s. The timeframe of Tuscumbia coincides with the career of Abraham Lincoln, who was elected to the Illinois Legislature in 1834, 1836, 1838, and 1840. In 1838, Lincoln visited Lewistown, nine miles east of the Tuscumbia area, extending the range of his law practice.
Compiled by Dr. Neil Gale, Ph.D.