Palmyra was a village two miles north of Mount Carmel in what today is Wabash County.
First settled in 1814, Palmyra was originally the site of a ferry across the Wabash River. Soon after the town was founded, a road was built between the settlement and the county line of Gallatin County, Illinois. Palmyra was named the first county seat of Edwards County, with meetings being held at a resident's house.
The peak population of the village was claimed to be between 500 and 600, though it is more likely that number would be between 300 to 400. Epidemics of Malaria and Yellow Fever killed a large portion of Palmyra.
By 1821, it was clear that Edwards County's seat had to be moved to a stable community. On April 10, the Illinois General Assembly named Albion, Illinois the new county seat.
Compiled by Dr. Neil Gale, Ph.D.