Clifford was an unincorporated community in northwestern Williamson County, about one mile north of the village of Colp. It is an early 20th-century mining settlement that has disappeared since the closing of local mines in 1923.
A post office was established on January 26, 1905, and it remained in operation until May 1935. Clifford had a large school at its peak around the time of WWI (1914-1918). The population reached over two thousand at one time.
The population in 1958 was 300. The remaining residents moved their houses or sold the structures. Nature took over.
Compiled by Dr. Neil Gale, Ph.D.