Chicago City Railroad Company's cable cars began service on February 23, 1882. The Halsted Cable Car (№ 5871) line passes through a subway on Twelfth Street (Roosevelt Road) for half a mile before reaching the Halsted Street terminal at a speed of ten miles per hour. At its height, Chicago’s cable car system had 13 power plants. Chicago’s last cable car made its final run in 1906.
SOUTH HALSTED STREET LINE IN 1893 — THE DOWNTOWN LOOP ROUTE
- Franklin Street, from tunnel south (about 110 feet) to Van Buren Street (single track).
- Van Buren Street, from Franklin Street to Dearborn Street (single track).
- Dearborn Street, from Van Buren Street to Adams Street (single track).
- Adams Street, from Dearborn Street to Franklin Street (single track).
- Franklin Street, from Adams Street to tunnel (single track).
- Tunnel, from Franklin Street to Clinton Street.
- Clinton Street, from the tunnel to Van Buren Street.
- Van Buren Street, from Clinton Street to Halsted Street.
- Halsted Street, from Van Buren Street to O’Neil Street (23rd Street).
- O’Neil Street (23rd Street), from Halsted Street into car barns at the southwest corner.
NOTE: On June 6, 1892, the first elevated — or 'L' — train ran from 39th (Pershing Road today) and State Streets to Congress Parkway and Wabash Avenue. By 1893, the Chicago and South Side Rapid Transit Railroad extended the elevated line to Jackson Park, the site of the 1893 World's Columbian Exposition.
Compiled by Dr. Neil Gale, Ph.D.