“Alone” in the White House, the President decided on Sunday, August 9th to pay a visit to the famed Civil War photographer Alexander Gardner, whose studio was located at the corner of 7th and D streets. Earlier that year Mr. Gardner had left the employ of Matthew Brady, who was considered one of the premier photographers in the country, to open his own photography studio.
|Signed carte-de-visite of Lincoln, as photographed by Alexander Gardner in 1863.|
“Four Score and Seven” Magazine Article
Edited by Dr. Neil Gale, Ph.D.