|The Art Institute nears completion as the Illinois Central Railroad continues to surround it with coal smoke. The photo was taken from the 17-story Auditorium Building, the tallest building at the time.|
The sale of the Art Institute’s former building had brought in $275,000. The World’s Fair Directory put in the sum of $200,000, and Charles L. Hutchinson, President of the Art Institute, had raised $55,000 through private subscriptions.
The World Congress Auxiliary of the World's Columbian Exposition occupied the new building from May 1 to October 31, 1893, after which the Art Institute took possession on November 1, 1893. The Art Institute was officially opened to the public on December 8, 1893.
|The World Congress Auxiliary opened its doors a few days after the opening of the World's Fair on May 13, 1893.|
Compiled by Neil Gale, Ph.D.