The last eighteen gas streetlights in Chicago were lit on June 4, 1954, on the east side, on Escanaba Ave. between 95th and 99th to be precise. As recently as the 1940s, there were thousands of gas street lights in Chicago. Where gas lines were not available, there were gasoline street lights, with a small reservoir inside the light. What could go wrong?
|The map indicates street lighting conditions in 1947 Chicago.|
Compiled by Dr. Neil Gale, Ph.D.