|Henry Harms, 1914|
Harms, born in Prussia immigrated to the United States in 1851. He purchased a farm and built a home on the current site of the Skokie Village Hall in 1854. In 1858, Harms became Skokie’s first merchant when he opened a general store at what is now the intersection of Lincoln and Oakton.
Throughout his life, Harms served in various civic positions: township constable, supervisor and commissioner of highways, and Cook County Drainage Commissioner. He founded three school districts in Niles Township, and began operating Skokie’s first post office in 1863, becoming the area’s first postmaster.
|Henry Harms First Home.|
|Henry Harms third and last house at 5319 Oakton Street, Skokie.|
|Harms Park was a privately-owned picnic grove located at the northeast corner of Western and Berteau Avenues in Chicago.|
Compiled by Neil Gale, Ph.D.