Sunday, August 19, 2018

Downtown Joliet, Illinois. circa 1900

This is the interlocking tower in downtown Joliet, circa 1900, before the tracks in Joliet were elevated and relocated. This photo was taken from the roof of the Joliet Warehouse & Storage Company building, looking southwest.
The tracks running from left to right directly behind the tower belonged to the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific Railroad.

The tracks running from the lower right to the center background belonged the Chicago & Alton Railroad.

The building in the center was the Chicago & Alton Railroad passenger depot.

The tracks running from the lower right side of the photo to the background on the left belonged to the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad.

In the background on the left were the tracks of the Michigan Central Railroad's Joliet Cut-Off.

Compiled by Neil Gale, Ph.D. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Digital Research Library of Illinois History Journal™ is rated PG-13. Please comment accordingly.
Comments not on the articles topic will be deleted as well as advertisements.