The Hotel Grace, 1889-abt 1990, a European hotel at 75 West Jackson Street, on the southwest corner of Clark Street.
It had 8 stories, 4 stores, 140 rooms, 1 elevator; 120 feet on Jackson, and 50 on Clark, 100 feet high; hotel office upstairs. It was erected in 1887, and cost $200,000 ($5,537,800 today). The hotel, opened in 1889, was known for exquisite meals and a very handsome banquet hall. The records of John M. Van Osdel, the architect, show that a story was added in 1890.
The 28-story Ralph H. Metcalfe Federal Building, built in 1991 occupies the site today.
Compiled by Neil Gale, Ph.D.