Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Fun Fair (Amusement Park) in Skokie, Illinois. (1948-1968)


Fun Fair Amusement Park was located on the southeast corner of Skokie Highway and Golf Road in Skokie, Illinois. From 1948 to 1968, Fun Fair was owned and operated by Dave Foley, Tom Foley, and John O'Brien.
Among its attractions was a fire engine, which was used to pick up birthday party guests at their homes and deliver them to the amusement park. 

There was a helicopter ride, boat ride, merry-go-round, a six-car Ferris wheel, a whip ride, the swinging gym, a truck ride on a track, hand crank peddle cars, tilt-a-whirl, a rocket ride, a car ride, a miniature train, and pony rides.

Fun Fair had a an arcade with pinball games and skee ball.
There were two roller coasters, the Little Dipper roller coaster and the Wild Mouse roller coaster. The Wild Mouse wasn't really fast, but it was a memorable ride with its tight, quick and flat turns. You always had the feeling the car was going to fall off the flimsy track.
A few people have claimed: A person falls out of a roller coaster or the roller coaster car fell off the track at Fun Fair in Skokie, Illinois. NO! It's an Urban Legend. There are no stories in Chicago newspapers or any proof online. Alan Landsberg says, "Someone fell out in the car ahead me!" but he won't respond to any inquiries. That's how rumors start.
This is an ad for Bowman Dairy Company for customers to save 4 Bowman bottle caps or carton tops, which entitles you to a 4-ride ticket for 25¢, except Sundays and holidays at the following parks; Fun Fair in Skokie; Kiddytown 95th & Stony Island, Chicago; Fairyland in Lyons; Lincoln Park Zoo in Chicago; Kiddytown, Harlem and Irving Park Road, Chicago; and Sauzer’s Kiddyland in Dyer, Indiana. —Chicago Tribune May 15, 1956.
VIDEO
Fun Times at Fun Fair in Skokie, Illinois


Compiled by Dr. Neil Gale, Ph.D. 

18 comments:

  1. This was the closest, but Riverview was the ultimate

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for all the pictures and video and history. Great memories. I loved the Wild Mouse at Fun Fair, loved Kiddieland, and Riverview.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember having one of my birthday parties here. The fire truck picked me and my friends all up at my house and took us there. I never went on the Wild Mouse as it looked so scary with its abrupt changes in direction. I always thought this place was called Kiddieland as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH MY GOSH! 1 mi. from my house..Tom Foley (as you mentioned) was a partner w/my father in 50's Foley and Corcoran Ins. Co. downtown Evanston. Tom has a son, Tim Foley...went to Loyola Academy/Purdue, then 11 yrs. with Miami Dolphins 1970s. What I'd give to connect with Tim and share some memories of our dads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Tom Foley was my grandfathers Brother. My grandfather was Dave Foley. I am his sons daughter! My dad was Patrick Foley.

      Delete
    2. From Golf how far south did it go. Where the Hilton property is today. Jewel Old Navy?

      Delete
    3. Fun Fair Amusement Park was located east of the Henry's Hamburger on the SE corner of Golf Road and Skokie Blvd.

      Delete
  5. Neil Gale...I didn't quite "get" comment as , and just hit "Anonymous". Its ok if my name goes up..someone might know how to find Tim Foley. Thanks! What personal info comes up about people who post comments?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much. Going to Fun Fair with my dad was one of the brightest spots of my childhood!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My dad was friends and a "competitor" of Mr O'Brian. I vaguely remember going to visit his park, it was fun to ride some different rides other than the same old same old ones that your parents had.....

    ReplyDelete
  8. It was really a 'kiddie land" sort of amusement park, scaled to small riders. I didn't go much as a "kiddie' but for some reason we found it a great destination when we were teenagers and could drive there. (from Winnetka) There were some rides we could fit into, the Wild Mouse being one, and junk food to be consumed, and we found it, well, amusing. I think Mangels was also nearby, where we all bought pumpkins, and a there was a guy who wore a pumpkin on his head and startled us by talking to us. Mangels was a hit when we were little so in the Fifites, and our wild times at the Fun Fair were in the early'60's. Fun to see this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My folks used to collect the paper caps from Bowman milk bottles and bring them there for some sort of discount.
    what a wonderful place, with great memories.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Watching the video brought tears to my eyes... How I miss that place!

    ReplyDelete
  11. As a kid, I loved it! Remember the Henry's Hamburgers in front?
    By the way, The Wild Mouse DID come off the tracks once or twice, forcing the park to close for a short time. Thanks for all the research, Neil!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You can also add to the list of attractions: live pony rides around a corral and an arcade of pinball games and skee ball. I am one who got picked up in the fire engine for his birthday! Very memorable.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Catherine Dahm… now at 73 I have very found memories of going there with my two sisters and two brothers and possibly a few neighbors as well. My grandfather would often take us there at night after dinner. I remember every ride!!!

    ReplyDelete

The Digital Research Library of Illinois History Journal™ is RATED PG-13. Please comment accordingly. Advertisements, spammers and scammers will be removed.