Friday, July 21, 2023

Cut-Rate Toys at 2424 West Devon Avenue, Chicago, Illinois, (1958-1991). My Story.

Marvin Hecht (1927-2019) opened Cut-Rate Toys at 2424 West Devon Avenue, Chicago, in 1958. He was an angry man who apparently didn't like children (his angry actions spoke volumes). He sat in his raised watch tower by the cashiers. 

I'm sure shoppers threw stuff at Hecht, which is why he wrapped his cage in chicken wire. Try yelling at adults to their faces and see what happens. Now I understand why he secured his little perch. Adults put up with Hecht's antics because the prices were low.

Hecht's philosophy regarding toys was "low price, high volume." He'd buy up odd lots at toy shows and pick up closeouts from Mattel, Milton Bradley, Hasbro and other toy makers. 
Marvin and Renee Hecht




“He would get on the microphones and say, ‘Get your children’s hands off the toys or get them out of the store, NOW!" his Daughter, Linda Karmin, said. “I mean, people were terrified of him.” Dad was a passionate musician who played classical piano concerts for charity.

Hecht habitually posted hand-written signs on the front door, naming and shaming children who had been caught stealing. The signs were quite blunt and always included the kid's name, address and telephone number of the shoplifter's parents.
You can see a note on the front door in this photo. Example: "Bobby Smith at 6512 North Washtenaw was caught stealing from this store. Call his parents at HO 5-0000 and ask them why they raised a child who steals." 





When I was there with my mom, I heard the owner yell at adults and kids over the loudspeaker. 

I went into Cut-Rate Toys by myself with the money I was gifted for my 10th birthday.  

I was looking to buy a Hot Wheels track set. I picked up a box to see all the sides and what was included. Suddenly, I heard the owner yell over the loudspeaker, "YOU... IN ISLE NUMBER FIVE, PUT THAT BOX DOWN NOW!!! DON'T TOUCH ANYTHING!" I was startled and embarrassed, and the box slipped out of my hands, hitting the floor and denting a corner of the box.

The owner came running out of his office, screaming, "NOW YOU'RE GOING TO BUY THAT!" I was furious. "If I'm not good enough to look at what I want to buy first," I said, "I just won't buy anything!" He grabbed me, but I was too quick and ran out of the store.

sidebar
At eight years old, I was taking the 155 Devon Bus to the Loyola 'L' station to take the subway downtown, by myself. I'd shop at Marshall Field & Company and usually went to Baer's Treasure Chest to play pinball and Skee-Ball and check out the Pro Magic Center on their second floor before heading home. In later years, I was lucky enought to meet Magician Marshall Brodien who worked part time at the Treasure Chest demonstrating complicated magic tricks for professionals. Brodien later opened the Magic Shop in Old Chicago shopping mall and amusement park in Bolingbrook, Illinois.

That was the last time I went to Cut-Rate Toys. I was so disgusted by the owner's behavior that I vowed never to give him my business again.

This behavior from a business owner would not be allowed today, as it would be considered harassment or defamation of a minor and perhaps result in a lawsuit.

In 1992, the store moved to 5409 West Devon Avenue in the Edgebrook neighborhood of the Forest Glen community in Chicago. The store closed in 2015. Marvin Hecht worked for 60 years in the toy business.

Copyright © 2023, Dr. Neil Gale, Ph.D.

7 comments:

  1. CJ Martello, Pullman, ChicagoSaturday, July 22, 2023 at 8:04:00 AM CDT

    Marvin, of the 70s on was a different person than described here. He walked his store as a friend to many. He was a trained pianist that played for free for many community organizations,, churches, and synagogues. His passing was a sad moment for many. Life is full of various versions of each of us.
    CJ Martello, Pullman, Chicago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was 10 years old in 1970. My article is exactly how Marvin Hecht was in the 1970s. Even his dauhgter, Linda Karmin, says so.

      Delete
    2. I agree with you. I grew up near Devon Avenue in the 60’s and early 70’s. That’s exactly how he was. We used to go there to see if we recognized any of the names of the shoplifters.

      Delete
    3. Nope, revisionist history. I was a little child in the 70s and he was MEAN. I never shopped without my mom or grams and he would just yell at people. He was not a nice man. At least not to women and children. Consider who his audience was when he was being kind. It sure wasn't kids and paying customers (women). My mother is still alive, living with me, and can attest to what I'm saying. LOL LOL WE ALL KNEW he was nasty, but our parents put up with it because they were cheap. LOL

      Delete
  2. What a disgusting, miserable person! Why would anyone want to shop there? I’d pay more than full price before I spent one cent at a store like that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to shop there in the 80's. You just couldn't beat the prices. Never took my kids with me and read their weekly ads beforehand so I knew exactly what I wanted. I remember Marvin but never had any interactions with him. After working in retail for a short time, I can understand his attitude!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was born in 1969 and I remember even my mom and grams were afraid of him. He screamed at children and adults alike and my grams finally asked why he chose to serve children when he clearly didn't like them. He didn't answer her and I don't think they went back anymore (I was like 10 by then). Then he moved, to our surprise, to Edgebrook. My home. So I wanted to buy some toys for my little cousins and I went in there. He was a changed man? It was odd. He was patient and chatted with me. No matter what, Cut Rate Toys was well known for good deals on toys.

    ReplyDelete

The Digital Research Library of Illinois History Journal™ is RATED PG-13. Please comment accordingly. Advertisements, spammers and scammers will be removed.