Hilltop Amusement Park was a popular amusement park at 22500 Governors Highway, Richton Park, Illinois, from 1926 to 1974. It was built on the site of the former Hilltop Race Track, which had closed in 1925.
Charles A. Schmidt, who also owned the nearby Lincoln Lagoon Amusement Park, opened the park.
Hilltop Amusement Park featured a variety of rides and attractions, including a wooden roller coaster, a carousel built in 1910 and featured 54 hand-carved animals, a kiddieland for preschoolers, a miniature train, a swimming pool, and a large dance hall. The park also hosted various events, such as concerts, picnics, and festivals.
Hilltop Amusement Park was a popular destination for families all over Chicago. The park was trendy during the summer months when it drew crowds of up to 10,000 people daily.
The park closed in 1974 due to financial difficulties. The site of the park is now occupied by a housing development.
Compiled by Dr. Neil Gale, Ph.D.