Vandalia Beach was an amusement park located in Vandalia, Illinois. It opened in 1927 and operated for over 50 years. The park was located on the banks of the Kaskaskia River and featured a variety of rides, attractions, and a swimming pool.
The park was opened by Harry and Alice Clark in 1927.
Rides included the small wooden roller coaster built in 1928 and a toddler kiddieland.
In 1946, Clark and Parks Amusement Company purchased Vandalia Beach Amusement Park, which also owned several other amusement parks in the Midwest. Clark and Parks invested heavily in Vandalia Beach, adding new rides and attractions, like the Tilt-a-Whirl, a Ferris wheel, and a swimming pool.
The park became a popular destination for families from all over the region.
In the 1970s, Vandalia Beach began to decline. The park was no longer as well-maintained as it once was, and attendance began to drop. In 1982, Clark and Parks announced that Vandalia Beach would be closing. The park's final day of operation was September 5, 1982.
The site of Vandalia Beach is now a residential development. However, the park's swimming pool still stands and is now used by the Vandalia Park District.
Compiled by Dr. Neil Gale, Ph.D.