The Exposition Amusement Shelter was an amusement park in Peoria, Illinois, operated from 1907 to 1923. The Peoria Traction Company built the park to promote weekend travel on its new electric line.
The Bloomington-to-Peoria, Illinois Interurban line formally opened in April 1907.
Exposition Amusement Shelter quickly became a popular spot, attracting visitors from all over the Peoria area.
The park featured a variety of rides and attractions, including a roller coaster, a swing ride, a dance pavilion, a 2,500-seat auditorium, a swimming pool, and various games of chance and concessions. The park also had several camping cottages.
Exposition Amusement Shelter's popularity declined in the early 1920s as more people began owning automobiles. The park closed in 1923 as the Great Depression made it nearly impossible to operate at a profit.
The park's grounds were eventually sold and subdivided. The former camping cottages were moved to other locations and converted into permanent homes. The auditorium was demolished in 1936. Today, there are no remaining structures left.
Compiled by Dr. Neil Gale, Ph.D.