The Devon Theater at 6225 North Broadway, Chicago, was originally known as the Knickerbocker. It was built by the Lubliner & Trinz circuit in 1915 by architect Henry L. Newhouse.
Located in Chicago's Edgewater neighborhood, the theater was later renamed the Devon, even though it was more than two blocks south of Devon Avenue on Broadway.
Around the time it was renamed, the operation of the Devon was taken over by Essaness. It continued to operate through the 70s as a second-run movie theater and later housed a church for a time.
The Devon Theater was demolished in 1996 after the entire block was acquired by Loyola University.
Compiled by Dr. Neil Gale, Ph.D.