Originally opened in 1922, but was rebuilt in the Art Deco style in 1937, when it received its current appearance. This included the addition of a balcony, bringing the seating capacity to 725, and an elegant Art Deco-style marquee.
In 1998, a state-of-the-art sound system was added. It is one of the few theaters in Illinois (outside Chicago) with such a high-tech sound system.
The theater closed in September 2012.
The Lorraine is not to be confused with the newer Lorraine II Theaters.
Compiled by Dr. Neil Gale, Ph.D.