Hill-Top opened in 1955. This popular 1950s vintage drive-in, with a large, single screen and capacity for 623 cars, suddenly closed in the middle of the 2001 season. It has remained abandoned, falling victim to vandals and disrepair.
On August 10, 2020, a straight-line wind storm knocked over about 80% of the drive-in's brick screen. Hill-Top was razed later in 2020.
In 1940, Route 66 was realigned to pass through Plainfield and bypass Joliet. Multiple additional alignments were done over the subsequent years while building the Interstate at the time called the freeway, in accordance with a 1943 bill.
|The movie reel projection booth.|
|Car speaker pole.|
|Projection booth equipment.|
|Razed in August 2020.|
Compiled by Dr. Neil Gale, Ph.D.
Post a Comment
The Digital Research Library of Illinois History Journal™ is RATED PG-13. Please comment accordingly. Advertisements, spammers and scammers will be removed.