In the early 1830s, the McGovney and Van Horne families and others settled along the banks of Hickory Creek, a tributary of the Des Plaines River and built homes in the Hickory Creek woods. Settlers sent and received mail and packages at Chelsea's post office in 1837. The Chelsea post office received mail once a week by a "horse express fast line" that followed the route between LaPorte, Indiana, and Joliet.
When the Rock Island Railroad came through, it passed less than a mile north of Hickory Creek and Chelsea. Chelsea's village Platt was incomplete when the village plans were abandoned because of the distance from town to the rail stop. By 1880 Chelsea had disappeared entirely, while Mokena sprouted up at the Rock Island rail stop.
The Village of Mokena Post Office opened in 1853.
Compiled by Dr. Neil Gale, Ph.D.
Post a Comment
The Digital Research Library of Illinois History Journal™ is RATED PG-13. Please comment accordingly. Advertisements, spammers and scammers will be removed.