Monday, December 30, 2019

Dellwood (Amusement) Park, Joliet, Illinois. (1905-ca.1938)

Dellwood Park was built by the Chicago & Joliet Electric Railway Company to help promote ridership on the line. Costing nearly $300,000 to build, Dellwood Park officially opened on July 4, 1905, and quickly became one of the most outstanding and beautiful park sites in the state. 
Dellwood Park Attractions Map.
CLICK TO EXPAND MAP.
For over 30 years, this park, located in Lockport, was one of the region's finest amusement, recreational and picnic areas. Thousands of people came to the park annually by rail from Chicago and other surrounding communities.
Compiled by Dr. Neil Gale, Ph.D.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for this article. I lived in Lockport, IL for almost 11 years (January 2007 - November 2017). Lots of history there, including Dellwood Park. - HBO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many thanks for your article … my Great-Grandfather Joseph L Dow was part of the construction crew at Dellwood Park and also the construction foreman for the old Lyons, IL. Water Tower. Your article and photos will be proudly attached to my genealogy history info on him

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Margaret Dow for your kind words. I have to ask, woluld you have any Dellwood Park phorographs or postcard images that are not in my article? Proper citation shall be given.

      Delete
    2. Dear Dr.Gale, I am sorry to say I don’t have any photos of Dellwood Park that I’m aware of. I have several siblings and we’re all very proud of and into our family genealogy. My Great-grandfather was a stone mason and very proud of his work ! Let’s keep our fingers crossed that I come across some copies for both of us !!!

      Delete

The Digital Research Library of Illinois History Journal™ is RATED PG-13. Please comment accordingly. Advertisements, spammers and scammers will be removed.