|Double-sided porcelain and neon sign from the 1950s.|
The number 48 in the oval on the top of the sign refers to Best Kosher's Sinai 48 brand. Based in Chicago, Best Kosher Foods Corporation is a subsidiary of Sara Lee Corporation, specializing in the preparation of kosher meats, including all-beef frankfurters and sausage links, bagel dogs, deli meats, low-fat meats, meat snacks, and pickles. The company's brands include Best's Kosher and Sinai 48.
Best Kosher was founded in Cincinnati in 1886 by a Jewish German immigrant named Isaac Oscherwitz who opened a small butcher shop and began making kosher sausage. He offered a higher standard of glatt kosher meats with the Shofar and Sinai 48 Kosher labels for meats that were double inspected.
Isaac Oscherwitz died in 1925, the same year that his youngest sons, Harry and Philip, moved to Chicago to establish a sister company called Best's Kosher Sausage Company. All Best Kosher products are made at the company's Chicago USDA-inspected plant.
The New York Kosher sign was removed when the owner received a letter from the City of Chicago to remove the sign because the size of the sign was not allowed to hang over the sidewalk and the owner was forced to take it down. It had been hanging there for 40 years.
The sign was removed after a documentary crew filmed the removal of the sign on November 4, 2011. It was sold to a large Chicagoland antique dealer that specialized in large commercial signs.