|Charles Tyson Yerkes, Jr.|
Though the Chicago World's Columbian Exposition closed on November 1, 1893, the Ferris Wheel stood idle on the Midway until April 29, 1894. It took 86 days and cost $14,833 (today $399,698.00) to dismantle it. Then in 1895, the wheel's inventor, George Washington Gale Ferris Jr., found a new site for the observation wheel on Chicago's North Side, in the Park West neighborhood of the Lincoln Park community and named it "Ferris Wheel Park," at1288 North Clark Street. It was only 20 minutes from the city's principal hotels and railway stations. The Directors sold bonds hoping to landscape the grounds, build a restaurant, a beer garden, a band shell, a Vaudeville theater, and paint the Wheel and Cars. Ferris' partner in the Ferris Wheel Park plan was Charles Tyson Yerkes, Jr. (which his involvement with the Park is debatable). The lack of support of the park was due to its location within a residential subdivision and the residents of both communities of Lincoln Park and Lake View were not fans of the new owner of the park, Mr. Yerkes. For years, Mr. Yerkes tried to circumvent Lincoln Park property owners by trying, through city government, to acquire property for his company without due process.
2) Brian J. Cudahy, Destination Loop, Brattleboro, VR: The Stephan Greene Press, 1982.