Looking south at the intersection of Kinzie and Wells, Chicago (1900).
Looking south at the intersection of Kinzie and Wells, Chicago (1900). The Hotel LeGrand stood at the NW corner. Today this is the site of the Merchandise Mart.
Chicago’s first "L" — today’s South Side Green Line — began operating between Congress and 39th Street (Pershing Road) on June 6, 1892. By the next May, service had been extended to the Columbian Exposition fairgrounds at 63rd and Stony Island.