Saturday, August 12, 2017

Green Oaks Kiddyland, 95th Street and Crawford Avenue (now Pulaski Road), Oak Lawn, IL. (1947-1971)

Green Oaks Kiddyland (yes... it's spelled correctly), was an amusement park that was located on the southwest corner of 95th Street and Crawford Avenue (now Pulaski Road), was a major family entertainment site for the Oak Lawn area for nearly 25 years. It was also known as Green Oaks Playland. 
Created by Mike "Mickey" Doolin in 1947, he began with only three portable carnival style rides that sat on twenty-one acres, when it opened.
Mickey Doolin, Owner of Green Oaks Kiddyland.
In 1955 the rides included; Airplanes, Army Tanks, Autos, Boats, Ferris wheel, Fire Engine, Hand Cars, Hobby Horse, Horse & Buggy, Merry-Go-Round, Roller Coaster, Sky Fighter, Train and the Whip.
Green Oaks Kiddyland was the largest entertainment venue in Oak Lawn at one time. It was closed in 1971 when it was sold, torn down and replaced by a Venture store (now a K-Mart).

NOTE: These photographs were near impossible to find.



The fire truck was used to pick up kids for private parties, at their house, and drive them to Kiddyland. The rest of the time, it was used as a ride in the park.
Identified as Mary Munson by Granddaughter Marci M. Harvey-Utes.


Identified as Clarence Munson by Granddaughter Marci M. Harvey-Utes.








A 1956 Kodachrome Photograph from Susanne Houfek.

6 comments:

  1. I worked at Kiddyland in the summer of 1970. I was 16 and it was my first job. I cleaned the park during the day while it was closed and collected tickets for the train at night - plus filled in on running all the rides as needed. I even worked the concession stand and spun cotton candy. Kiddyland was aging by 1970 but it was still a fun place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow flashback. Lots of good memories there when I was little. I thought it was so far away from where I lived. I lived in Chicago Now I live in Oak Lawn

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also worked there about 68. I had the coolest job in Oaklawn...running the roller coaster.
    Bob Zerezo (sp)was the owner.

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of my favorite memories of my parents taking me there when I was little. Thanks for sharing the picture brings back so very happy memories.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved the train because everyone would scream going through the tunnel and the boats.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You hear a lot about the other Kiddieland in Melrose Park but not too much on this one! We lived only blocks away in the new subdivision of Crawford Gardens just north of Green Oaks - we could see the lights from the entrance gate at night! We moved into a newly built home on S. Karlov in 1961 when I was 6. My parents started taking me to this Kiddieland while we still lived in Evergreen Park during the late 50's when I was 3, 4 and 5 and a few more times later after our move. I was too young to remember much, but I DO remember the many times my parents took me to Riverview as a child. That magnificent park closed while I was still 12 yrs old.

    ReplyDelete

The Digital Research Library of Illinois History Journal™ is rated PG-13. Please comment accordingly.
Comments not on the posts topic will be deleted as will advertisements.