Saturday, April 22, 2017

Leif Ericson Drive, Chicago, Illinois.

Lake Shore Drive [1]  from the Chicago River south to 57th street was named "Leif Ericson Drive" in 1927 for Norse explorer Leif Ericson. The dedication of Leif Ericson Drive attracted a crowd of 25,000, mostly of Norwegian birth or ancestry. This part of the road was also known as (nicknamed) Field Boulevard. In 1946 the entire road was named Lake Shore Drive. 

Most references to "Leif Ericson Drive" online have a wrong date of 1937. Proven wrong by this 1933/34 World's Fair postcard.
Entrance--Leif Ericson Drive, The Colonial Village,  A Century of Progress 1933/34 Chicago World's Fair.

A Chicago Tribune news clipping from
Feb. 2, 1927 about Leif Ericson Drive.
[1] Lake Shore Drive's origins date back to Potter Palmer, who coerced the city to build the street adjacent to his lakefront property to enhance its value. Palmer built his "castle" at 1350 N. Lake Shore Drive in 1882. The drive was originally intended for leisurely strolls for the wealthy in their carriages, but as the auto age dawned it took on a different role completely. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Digital Research Library of Illinois History Journal™ is rated PG-13. Please comment accordingly.
Comments not on the posts topic will be deleted as will advertisements.