The Chicago Home for the Incurables was built in 1898 (many wrong references to 1889 on the web) and closed in 1959, the Chicago Home for the Incurables was a long-term hospital complex.
Patients were provided with invalid chairs, which they propelled about their rooms or through the long corridors out upon the wide verandas. There were comfortable seats and inviting hammocks and a perspective of lawn and bright flowers which means much to feeble eyes and limbs.
The Chicago Home for the Incurables housed the "John Crerar Library." There was a parlor upon every floor, a commodious reading-room, and the men have a smoking-room where they may indulge to their hearts' content in the use of their favorite brands.
The University of Chicago acquired the Chicago Home for the Incurables in 1963 and changed the name to the "Young Memorial Building". Since then, It has functioned as departmental space for the university's architect, security, housing, and administrative facilities.